Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Catcher in the Rye

"People never notice anything..."

Okay, I understand this is just Holden talking to a therapist,and it's one of the greatest pieces of American Literature,

but come on.

Nothing happened! I only liked the end with his sister. Otherwise, I wasn't much of a Holden fan. I guess if he was a bit more crazy, I would have been more interested, but initially, I didn't realize that there was anything wrong with him in the first place. Maybe a more interesting plotline and more than one well-developed character? I don't know... just my thoughts...

2 comments:

wendtaa said...

You honestly didn't think anything was wrong with Holden??? He was a nut from the get-go. But I like nuts, so I guess that's why I like this book haha. It's definitely not action-packed, but psychologically, a lot goes on, and you really get to know Holden based on the things he says. That "People never notice anything" quote is one of my favorite quotes from literature of all time, because it's so true. His observations about people are what make the book interesting, and even though he's supposedly disturbed, he actually has a better view of reality than most people do. A lot of books put character development on the back burner to focus on plot, but in this case, character development IS the plot... boring for some, I guess. But not many authors can pull off first-person narrative like Salinger does.

Cassie said...

I actually really like the book! I thought it was really interesting to walk through Holden's adventure in trying to discover who he was, where he was going, and what he was meant to do in life. I think it plays really well into the though process of a young guy who's really lonely and lost, and is trying desperately (and in the wrong places) to find some meaning and purpose for his life.