Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Pride and Prejudice...

 

I have to start with one of my favorite books of all time. it just happens to be one of the first books i read this year...

"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you..."-Mr. Darcy

I want a Mr. Darcy-awkward, funny, stuck-up, antisocial, charming, confused and altogether lovely. You can't help but love him! Even though he's an aristocratic snob, you adore him.

Elizabeth is another perfect character-soo easy to relate to. She comes from an average [but hilarious!] middle-ish class family. She has no spectacular talent. She's average...or, according to some, "barely tolerable", oh, Darcy!

You cannot help but fall in love with the Bennet Family! Funny and loving Mr. Bennet, crazy and marriage-obsessed Mrs. Bennet, sweet and quiet Jane, strange and ignored Mary, young and naive Lydia, and younger and energetic Kitty. They provide ninety percent of the humor of the book.

The book is a perfect balance of everything. You have romance with the Bennet girls. You have the mystery behind Mr. Wickham, Georgiana, Darcy, and Mr. Bingley. You have the humor from the Bennets and the awkwardness from Mr. Collins. Everything is perfectly balanced.

It's in 3rd person. So, of course, i spent most of my time yelling at the characters when their perception of a situation was wrong. When Mr. Collins was proposing to Elizabeth, i told him not to waste his time. When Jane was upset over Bingley, I told her that everything was going to be okay. I told Elizabeth she was stupid and just postponing the inevitable when she refused Darcy's proposal. I was very involved. From the first sentence, Jane Austen had me in their world.

cover

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ADORE Pride and Prejudice! Love, love, love it! I really love how they both had to change on their own, before being ready and realizing that they love each other! =D